× Employer Solutions Workers' Compensation Leadership Training Work The Waterfront Coverage USL&H State Act MEL Resources Events Safety Resources Claims Resources Compass Dashboard Longshore Consulting COVID-19 Resource Center Longshore Insider Join Our Mailing List Blog Webcast

Report A Claim News & Media Events About AEU Contact Us
Member Access
The American Equity Underwriters, Inc. The American Equity Underwriters, Inc.
Longshore Insider
Infographic: What is the Difference Between State Act and the Longshore Act?
Aug 24, 2020 - The American Equity Underwriters, Inc.

All U.S. states and territories have workers’ compensation laws, commonly referred to as “state acts”, for the protection of injured of workers. The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, or Longshore Act, is also a workers’ compensation law.

State laws usually cover different types of workers than the Longshore Act, but there is frequent overlap and uncertainty – especially in “concurrent” states, where injured workers are able to file claims under both the Longshore Act and state act.

The most important difference for employers is that state workers’ compensation laws and the Longshore Act are separate exposures. Overlapping jurisdictions and coverage uncertainties mean employers must be sure to have the correct coverage.

Download Infographic

Download infographic - state act vs. longshore act

The opinions and comments expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not reflect the opinion of ALMA, AEU or Amwins. None of ALMA, AEU, Amwins or the authors are responsible for any inaccuracy of content or for any loss or damages incurred by any party as a result of reliance on information contained in this article. Content may not be published or reproduced without the written consent of the authors. Prior articles may not be updated for accuracy as pertinent information changes over time. The Longshore Insider is intended to provide general information about the industry and should not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances. For legal advice, please consult a licensed attorney.
Our Location